Friday, October 16, 2009

27 mile high club.



The 27 Club

As a child of the 90's, I was very much aware of the culture that was associated with the music world, particularly among the genres of ruck, punk and grunge. I was lucky enough to catch the tail end of the sex, drugs and rock and roll era, which lasted from the 60's through till the early 90's where it died with the end of Nirvana. It was an era that I have always very much appreciated, as it has shaped the future of music and left a lasting legacy on the young and old.

The 27 club made this era. They poured passionate riffs and LSD inspired lyrics into the music industry, and it was received by the world in a whirlwind of appreciation. Living fast, dying young, thats what it was all about. Drugs were perhaps the most influential aspect of this lifestyle, in particular heroin.  Perhaps it was the fact that there was so much pressure in the industry, or maybe it was just the cool thing to do. Either way, that, combined with the effects of LSD made for some pretty amazing sounds that live on in popular culture today.

 The world lost Jimmi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison within a 10 month period during the early 70's, and all were aged 27.  Kurt Cobain died at the age of 27 some years later in 1994, also joining the 27 club hall of fame. 37 popular musicians have died at this age, making it a statistical abnormality. I always wonder what it is that really kills these people. Kurt Cobain for example, conspiracy theories aside, he killed himself with a gun, sure, but what was it really? Was it the pressure? Was it the fact that he just wanted to be in the 27 club? Was it drugs?  It is something we will never know for sure and maybe that just adds to the air of mystery surrounding it. Maybe it is what he wanted.

I love the fact that this is the musical culture I grew up with. I love the fact that it was all about peace, love, drugs, sex, rock and roll. I'm not saying I want to be part of that, but I am saying I love sitting back as an observer. Losing some of the most talented artists the world has ever seen, at such a young age, is heartbreakingly tragic. I also think we were lucky to have them at all. Who wants to get old, when you can be forever 27?




No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers