Monday, July 26, 2010

Reality check.


It occurred to me tonight, as I enlightened myself via Underbelly,  just how fucked up this world is. This year, on my street, there's been people stalked, a bashing and someone had their car stolen 2 days ago. I couldn't stay and chat to my friend in the park after uni today because I was scared to walk across the field home alone after dark.  It's a world of fear, death and destruction.

The cultivation analysis theory tells us that people, over time, are often influenced by what we see on television over long periods of time. It puts forward the idea that prolonged periods of exposure result in distorted perspectives on reality, and in particular crime and violence. Let me ask though, if these things are happening in my street on a regular basis, am I really being paranoid as a result of watching too many  real life and make believe crime shows, or am I being street smart?

Where do the people doing this media research live exactly? Because in my end of town, this shit actually happens. It's not just on TV. It isn't just something designed to entertain people. It's real and it's damn scary. So obviously, Mr Gerbner and Co, do not live, anywhere near my town. And my town, isn't even one of the bad ones.

1 comment:

  1. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood and I'm still paranoid about these things happening! Maybe TV does change your perspective, as well as reality. I think everyone is paranoid in their own way. I loved this post by the way.

    ReplyDelete

tell me something lovely :)

Followers