Thursday, December 10, 2009

Generation X, Y and Annoying




One of the things I have noticed about kids these days is that they really need to harden the fuck up. It's tears over absolutely everything, it's never going outside because video games are more exciting, it's, in the context of my life "the surf is to big" or "I feel sick".  I used to hate it when my parents forced me out of my comfort zone. Down the big scary waterslide or into the big waves at the beach. I used to hate being forced to go to school even if I had a terrible cold and I used to think I was so hard done by, but I look back now and I realize that my parents really were doing me a favor. Kids desperately need to toughen up.

I work with young children a lot of the time, and honestly, I am scared for our future. They are often so conservative and so single minded. So hideously obedient with no personality whatsoever. It seems as though many of the new generations are being raised as products of conservatism and religion and have no real thought patterns. Parents pander so hard to their children's needs, to the point, I think of ridiculousness. Or, worse, on the opposite end of the spectrum, parents just let their kid wander freely and don't care about the way they are raised. This isn't to say it's always like this, it just seems to be to much of the time  that I observe such extremes.

I know that children need nurturing and I know that children need patience. I know that they are just learning, and I respect that, but seriously, parents need to wake up and realize that their child is not going to learn to get over things without a little encouragement. Getting outside the comfort zone is a good thing. Living in a delusional little bubble of imaginary worlds on a television screen, is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers