Sunday, November 22, 2009

Global Warming- A response to todays sunday morning with Macca (ABC Radio)



Because it's me and I missed my alarm again this morning, I was unable to call the ABC radio morning show with Macca when he was discussing global warming without being late for work. There is however, a couple of things I would have said and I will say them here.

So Macca said that as a journalist it was his job to be skeptical about  global warming. He also wondered how primary children who can hardly read and write could possibly know anything about the subject. These two comments infuriated me. It made me realize how incredibly ignorant human beings actually are, and why they will eventually meet their demise at their own hands. I agree that as of yet, the signs are not visible unless you look for them, but Macca... do you really think that all the carbon emissions are good for the planet? Did you notice that today was 43 degrees in NSW... in November? Do you notice that the Great Barrier Reef is dying and will be gone in 20 years if temperatures continue to rise? Do you know that the glaciers are all melting all over the world? (See picture above if you don't believe me) Were you also aware of the increased skin cancer rates, despite the increased sun protection methods? What about rising sea levels?  I mean, for fucks sake mate, do you not think that all this stuff, that I can rattle off the top of my head, is a little odd? A little messed up?

And as for kids not knowing about it, well I really beg to differ. My mother teachers a year one class. I coach primary aged kids in various different sports. I can tell you, these kids not only know what's going on in terms of carbon emissions from cars and electricity etc, but they are already acting on it, and actively trying to stop it by turning of their bedroom lights, telling their parents to walk more often rather than drive and by planting more trees and tending to them both at home and at school in an attempt to (to quote one girl) "fix the world."

Macca, I think your statements this morning reflect your lack of integrity as a journalist and show that you clearly have not researched this issue. Actually, maybe you should try and do a bit of research, rather than announcing to the entire country that you do not believe in global warming and making everyone else skeptical and naive. I for one would like to be able to make it to old age, and unfortunately your generation is going to make that pretty hard if you don't do something about your past actions soon.

I am never listening to your show again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers