Friday, November 27, 2009

Fast food or slow food?



I am a foodie. There's no doubt about it. I live for my breakfasts, lunches and dinners.  I have been brought up in a household where food is seen as something exquisite. Antipasto platters for lunch on weekends, extravagantly custom built school lunches and a different cultures cuisine every night for dinner. In fact tonight is indian. Last night was italian. The night before that was mexican and on the weekend we had greek.

I adore going to restaurants and trying out all the dishes on the menu and I get extremely excited by the prospect of events at which there will be delicious food. I love how food at a good eatery is presented in a way that is so divine and so pretty on the plate that the taste becomes part of the over arching experience of tasting such food. This kind of food is affectionately known as "slow food" by people such as myself.

What I am a little sick of, is the amount of fast food that throws itself at you. There are so many burger chains and fast delivery pizza shops that it is often more difficult to eat fast food, having so much to chose from (despite the fact that it all tastes much the same). Just this week, McDonalds was accused of making a new burger (The Double Angry Angus) that was double the daily fat intake! Something with that many calories can't be good for you. The problem is when people eat such things on a regular basis. McDonalds, Burger King, Hungry Jacks... it's all the same.

I find myself increasingly avoiding fast food. I have upped my salad intake and honestly, I feel so much healthier for it. Not that I ever ate a terribly large amount of the stuff, but seriously, it's an issue in Australia that really needs to be addressed. The obesity crisis is worsening and fast foods such as Angry Angus are one of the main reasons why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers