Saturday, December 25, 2010

My very merry christmas.

Today was amazing. Perhaps one of my best christmases ever. It wasn't because of the presents, although I must say, Santa baby, your on the nice list. It was because of how happy I felt with my family. As a tore open the paper this morning, off gifts so thoughtfully given, and looked at mum in her dressing gown watching patiently, ensuring that every single thing was perfect, dad being more excited about our gifts of water guns and candy and books than we were, our dog playing happily with her new toys and food stuffs and my brother being 17, pretending to be too cool but really I think enjoying every moment of our traditional christmas morning, I felt a painful wave of nostalgia. I remembered the times when we were little and all this would be taking place a 5 30 am, and I thought of all the family we had lost and gained.  I appreciated every little tradition, our one hour of beach patrol, our big christmas turkey and my Aunties,  amazing tomato flan, our usual lighthearted dreading of what was to come tomorrow at the annual semi family BBQ and my slightly tipsy gran briefing my brother on how to make mince pies. I watched and observed all of this, and I wondered where I would be next year. I wondered where my family would be next year. I wondered whether I would be able to bear not being there and I concluded that I just don't think I can. It's not because I don't want to travel, or because I will miss out on presents, but rather because it is such a special day of the year. Perhaps the one time, where there truly is happiness, peace and joy, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere other than our little wooden floor, in front of our stockings, wearing pajamas and santa hats.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers