Sunday, January 2, 2011

twenty eleven or two thousand and eleven?



Okay. There is a question. An overwhelming, overpowering, all important question that I feel I need an answer to. Do we now say twenty eleven, or do we say two thousand and eleven? Now I won't lie, I am obsessively pedantic over such frivolous grammatical headaches. I feel that it is necessary to use the longer of these phrases for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it sounds more proper. Like we actually respect the era we are living in. I liken in to when people nickname me "JC". My name is good. I like my name. My nicknames are even okay. My mothers love names don't bother me, but when people can only be bothered to use my initials, well that gets to me. I too, can recite letters of the alphabet without regard for what they represent and stand for.

I feel that this modern and delightful era of 2011, needs the utmost respect. It may be remembered for war, or peace or because someone famous dies. It may be remembered for for a scientific breakthrough or one day given as a date when somewhere, something important happened as I am sure it will. For this reason, I want it to be spoken of and referred to, in a way that reflects the intelligence and modernity of those who live in it, and not sound like another boganized phrase that someone has thoughtlessly blurted out.

So on that note,  I advise you to choose wisely how you will refer to this year. You never know where words can lead you, and what will happen once you get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers