Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Summer Fling with Shakespeare

I have been so stuck for what to write about in this past month. All the things I am thinking have been thought before. All the things I am feeling have been thought before and so it seems rather pointless to ramble on about things in a repetitive fashion.

One thing I have been doing with my summer, given that there has been no writing,  is reading books. I have been reading everything from reality criminal trials to Stephen Kings paranormal fiction. What I love about reading is that it is such a silent form of communication and entertainment. So many things can be happening! Wars are breaking out, heroes are saving the day, aliens are taking over the planet and people are falling in and out of love and all this is happening over a couple of pages. Nothing is said out loud, in fact there is minimal movement at all. Everything is inside your head. No one sees or hears anything. It is such a personal experience. There is so much to learn from books it is overwhelming.

I know e books are all the rage in this technological age, but I just feel that there is something perfect about turning the pages physically. There is something  glorious about a book that comes with a history, a personality and a few random smudges. The simplicity, the assurance that it will not disappear at a wrong click. It does not require electrical power, only mind power. I am privileged to be able to share something as special as a story, with all the great literary geniuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers