Monday, October 10, 2011

The Milk Fridge.

"There's no use crying over spilt milk". Thats what they used to tell me. Until I spilt it. 

Careless, off limits, why, avoided, follow protocols, cost. These are just a few of the common phrases you might hear once you actually actually spill the milk. Or spoil it... as the case may be. 

It was a dark and stormy night... at least I am pretty sure it was, my mood was dark and stormy, which is really all I can remember. I had just returned from a long weekend in my second home on the north coast, where I saw my elderly relatives for what may well have been the last time. I said goodbye to my family at home, knowing I wouldn't see them for weeks. I was in a terrible mood. I sat in a meeting the second I got back for over an hour, at which point, on the edge of a nervous breakdown and feeling distinctly like I was about to pass out... I was asked to retrieve a dinner. And thats when I left the fridge open. 

I stood there and thought, you know what, how can I best fuck up everyone at this place... what would cause the most inconvenience possible... I know! I'll deprive them of their cereal in the morning. 

No not really. I thought I had shut it and I walked out, and didn't hear anything more until the next morning, when, at 7 am, the second I walked into breakfast, I was bombarded with questions of my whereabouts the night before (which are often hazy at the best of times, though that night I remembered because I had been watching sex and the city in bed until 3 am), the whereabouts of everyone else in this place, and made to feel like the earth had been shattered as a result of my careless actions. I had been awake for approximately 2 minutes... so as you might imagine... the best response I could give was to nod in what I hoped was an apologetic manner. 

Later that day, I was to receive a further 6 emails from various dignitaries of the residence. And a phone call, at which point I broke down in tears, and internally begged to be fired so I would never have to deal with anything this first world petty again. 

What I really can't stand about the whole situation is the triviality of it all, and despite knowing this whole issue was trivial, is that out of all the things I have been through this year, this was the one that set me off. It was the one that broke me. It was the cherry on the ruined cake of 2011. 

It saddens me to think that I have just written a whole blog... about breaking down... over a milk fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers