Sunday, September 4, 2011

Soul Surfer

There are times, when I look at my life, and I think "It's too hard." I am always worrying about my next exam, whether I am fighting with a friend, what I am doing on the weekend, not having enough time for a social life. 

Although I realise on a regular basis, the pathetic nature of these worries, there is the occasional moment of clarity when I am reminded of just how lucky I really am.  Today was one of those moments.

The movie "Soul Surfer" tells the story of Bethany Hamilton, a name that has become commonplace in the surfing world. Although I have been admiring the strength of this woman since her accident, having read her book and followed her website closely, when watching her movie today, it hit me all over again. Bethany was attacked by a shark while out surfing with her friends in her home state, Hawaii. She lost an arm as a result. For her surfing career, most assumed it was fatal. It wasn't. She managed to get back out in the water and return to the sport within weeks of the accident. Not only did she keep surfing, but she turned pro. Her faith, courage and ability led her to her dreams and as she once quoted "I have been able to embrace more people with one arm, than I ever could with two." 

People like this bring me back into reality. They make me realise how easy my life is, and inspire in me, a need to help others. Bethany has been such an inspiration for me, in that I look at her and what she has overcome to reach her dreams, compared to the path currently laid out in front of me with virtually no obstacles along the way. I watched this movie today, and almost cried at the end when they were showing you actual footage of her getting back in the water after the attack.

 It comforts me to know, that there is someone out there with as much courage, drive, ability, selflessness  and determination as Bethany Hamilton.


No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers