Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Inheritance Cycle


I decided a while back that it was high time for me to renew my passion for fantasy. Actually... I was only ever really passionate about Harry Potter, but I thought I would give another YA series a go. An interesting move at 23...

The Inheritance Cycle seemed perfect. Thick pages, not difficult to read and it had dragons in it. Dragons are my second favourite animal, with unicorns being the obvious choice for first place. I realise that it is unfortunate that neither of these animals actually exist in physical form, but that actually works out beautifully for me because I really dislike most things that breathe.

So I started the first book and was, to put it nicely, disappointed. I can't even really tell you what the story was about beyond Eragon finding a dragon egg, dragon egg hatching, he becomes a rider, he travels round a bit then at the end gets in a battle. In theory, this sounds like the makings of a great book but I just couldn't get into it.

I started reading the second one a few weeks back because I am weird like that. I start something and I need to finish it.. That's actually a fib. I just like to finish books. Partially so I can give it a chance, and partially so I can add it to my "read books" shelf on goodreads.

It started out sucking, and it took me weeks to get a third into it because I kept putting it off, even starting Anna Kerenina, in the hopes that a wee bit of Russion literature would occupy my brain a little better (it didn't). Then suddenly out of nowhere, I found myself being a bit drawn in. I am starting to want to know a little bit more about Eragon and his Dragon, and I like that it is jumping to Roran's story as well...

So although I haven't finished it, and this is the lamest mid book review ever, I just wanted to say that I am glad I was stern with my brain and that I made myself sit down and keep reading.

You should do the same. Put down 50 shades of grey or anything by Jodi Piccoult immediately, and go and read something more realistic, like Eragon.




No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers