Sunday, December 25, 2011

Santa Clause has been to town

It's that one special day of the year when children wake up at 5 am because they are so excited about Santa and all the presents he has left behind. That time when everyone is just a little bit happier and more generous. I often think about those spending christmas alone, or those who have nothing. I feel happy because I too am celebrating with my family, getting lovely presents, eating incredible food and spending time at the beach just generally being merry.

I think about those people who have nothing and I feel sad for them. I feel like I want to help them. I think about Somalian refugees and old people with no family left. I think about those who are sick and in need,  who have lost loved ones and those who have nowhere to go. There is a lot of sadness and despair in the world, and I see that all the time, but at this time of year it can be masked by merriment. I often wonder how I can help, and where I can even start, but I do know that it makes me appreciate what I have so much more.  So today I will be merry, enjoy my presents, and spend time with the people I love, but I will spare a thought for people less fortunate because that is what christmas is about to me.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. I always want to donate during the holidays because I also feel this way, but I'm in high school so I can only spare 10 or so dollars after buying gifts for people. We are so, so lucky.
    I also gave you an award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

tell me something lovely :)

Followers