Friday, March 5, 2010

Manic Digitization

I have officially begun my journalism related subjects this week at uni. *EXCITEMENT*. One of my tasks, would you believe is to keep a weekly blog. I have decided to post them here also, as it seems like a good place to start practicing. The blog topic is as follows:


Thinking about athe day you came to the lecture, which digitial communications technologies and platforms did you use, and for what purpose? Think of devices (computers, phones), locations (home, uni, Internet cafes), platforms (Facebook, WWW, SMP) and all the tasks you achieve. Reflect on how much you depend on digital technologies in everyday life. 


In response, I have written the following:


Oh Yes. I have a facebook account. I have a blog. I have a smartphone though, it's not a great one. It's got nothing on the iphone. I have a computer, I have a digital camera, I have an ipod. These things mean that I fit in with the rest of generation Y and their manic digitization of absolutely everything. At least we arn't like generation Z. I hear they have video games on their TV. 


The day I came to the lecture I utilized almost all of my digital toys. I definitely checked my facebook because not checking facebook means you are out of the loop on what's happening in your own world, and no body wants to be left in the dark. I listened to my ipod on my run because if I don't take it people I know might try and talk to me and then I would have to stop running. Also, without Lady GaGa, I would never make it up the last hill home. I sent a few text messages to friends and received a few text reminders from google letting me know times and locations of lectures, because google knows everything so why would I bother writing them down or memorizing them?


We are living in a digital world, and yes, I am a digital girl, but how much do I depend on digital technologies? I don't. I use them because I can. They are there, they are part of life, and they are readily available, but I know how to write notes by hand. I know how to walk over to someone else's dorm room and ask them what they are doing, what their relationship status is today and usually from facial expression, I even know what mood they are in. I know how to use a written diary to keep appointments and work out lecture times. I even know how to post letters. So no, dependency is not how I would describe my relationship with digital technologies. I don't think I need to check myself into dig-a-holics anonymous just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me something lovely :)

Followers